How are you feeling today?
I was wondering how you are feeling today. With current and recent world events you may be feeling a little anxious, worried or upset. Many are finding that their mental health is not the best, even if they have not had any issues before. I thought that I would share some tips with you that may help you to feel better about things.
Sometimes when we are feeling a little down, we may start focusing on how we are currently feeling more. This can actually exacerbate the low mood. It can often be difficult to focus on something else, but, if you can, it should help you feel better. Doing something that you enjoy doing is a great way of changing your thoughts. Examples of suitable things are below but you will be able to add to this list depending on your interests:
- Walking – there is nothing like a walk in the fresh air to make you feel revitalised.
- Exercise – if you enjoy going to the gym or going running this will help your mood to lift.
- Learn to dance – I don’t really enjoy going to the gym myself, but love dancing. Perhaps take up dance lessons if you have always wanted to learn to dance?
- Meditation/Yoga – if this is something that you like to do find a class either locally or online. There are lots going on again now.
- Reading can be a great form of escapism. Perhaps treat yourself to a new book or join your local library if you are not already a member?
- Take up a hobby. Crafting and creative hobbies are really good for helping us re-focus our thinking.
- Write a book if it is something that you have always wanted to do and never taken the opportunity to begin.
- Write a journal to help you get your thoughts on paper so that you can then focus on something else.
- Check out other posts on this website to help with mindset and focus.
Lack of motivation
You may feel that you have a lack of motivation to do the things that will help you to feel better in yourself, especially those that involve physical effort. If this is the case, try doing them with a friend or family member, or with a local group if your friends or family do not share your interests?
You may be someone who likes positive quotes that you can relate to for added inspiration/motivation. If so, check out my Facebook group Taming Mind Monkeys.
Share how you are feeling today
Share how you feel with friends or family members who will listen. However, do choose ones who will help you feel more positive and help you to find solutions, rather than those who won’t (perhaps because they have problems of their own).
Often when we are feeling down, we don’t appreciate the fact that many others will be feeling worse than us. Often, if we can do something to help them it will not only provide the help that they need but we often feel better ourselves too. It may help you to put your own problems into context.
Remember to smile! If you look hard enough there is usually something to smile about, even in challenging times. However, if you can’t seem to find a solution yourself you may need to…
Talk to a professional
Please remember that there may be times when you may need to talk to a professional if you feel that nothing helps you to feel better so, please do not bottle things up. Look for someone who can help you. You owe it to yourself. We all need the right person to support us at times.